LATEST SANDY RELIEF OPPORTUNITIES
Updated 11.7.12 @ 11:00am
Because we are a little less able to do upkeep on the lists that follow, ALWAYS CALL AHEAD before making a donation/showing up to help/showing up in a gassed-up car. Read on, be safe and keep on helping!
Check out the Brooklyn Brewery Sandy relief site for info on two great trainings for relief volunteers coming up on November 8th and 13th, as well as their list of resources, donation sites, etc.
Updated 11.4.12 @ 2:30PM
The Brooklyn Kitchen is NO LONGER ACCEPTING DONATIONS and no longer needs volunteers or cars, but MANY OTHERS STILL ARE AND DO!
If you are a DROPOFF POINT/COLLECTION CENTER, e-mail email@example.com with your location, dropoff hours and phone number and we will add you to this site.
I HAVE SUPPLIES TO DONATE:
WINTER CLOTHES ARE THE ONLY CLOTHES BEING ACCEPTED at most sites! Most needed items are batteries, flashlights, baby formula and diapers, cleanup supplies, sanitary supplies/toiletries, garbage bags, blankets, canned/stable food and water. Call first to make sure your destination is still open/accepting donations and is accepting what you’ve got.
Church of the Ascension, 122 Java St., Greenpoint, 917-885-3096
American Legion, 519 Leonard St., [Not sure of hours this week], (718) 383-9822
PS 84 (Grand and Berry) is accepting donations, including warm clothes, M-F 7:30am-5pm
Greenhouse Holistic yoga studio at 783 Driggs (@ S. 4th), through Tuesday, 718-384-9454
Malin Landaeus, 155 N6th St., 11am-9pm daily, 646.361.0261
Vaudeville Park, 26 Bushwick Ave., [Not sure of hours this week], 646-684-5494
Pilgrim Surf Supply 68 N 3rd St.Brooklyn, NY 11211 + (718) 218-7456
Michael Gannon, 66 Nassau Ave. Apt #2, 516-270-8580
Check around the web for MANY MORE!
I HAVE HANDS AND A BACK AND A BRAIN:
- Call the above numbers/check lings to see if help is needed sorting/packing/delivering/distributing!
- Rockaway Help (boots-on-the-ground via Assemblyman Mike Miller, et al)
- Redhook/Rockaway Rescue Facebook Page
- Redhook/Rockaway Recovery Facebook Page
- OCCUPY SANDY and OCCUPY SANDY FACEBOOK
- NYC Public Advocate Bill DiBlasio’s list of opportunities
- State Senator Liz Kreuger’s Update for 11/3-11/4
- Red Hook Recovers
- Lower East Side Recovers
- Staten Island Recovers
I HAVE A CAR (WITH GAS IN THE TANK):
- Call any of the numbers from the “SUPPLIES TO DONATE” list above. Any/all of them may need cars to transport their collected donations.
- Assemblyman Michael Miller’s office needs cars and trucks (with fuel!) to shuttle supplies from their office on out to several distribution points in the Rockaways. You can contact them directly at 718-805-0950.
- We cannot stress enough that you ought to have plenty of gas in the tank before considering contributing your car. Even the local trips.
- For anyone thinking of driving directly to the Rockaways: Please remember that it’s a mess out there. There is debris in the road; stuff everywhere. Most cell service is out. If you get a flat tire, etc., you’re on your own. Everyone wants to help and your hearts are in the right place. Make sure your mind is in the right place too. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Love you guys! Hope that wasn’t too harsh!
- If you meet all the above conditions, here’s an incomplete list of volunteer locations. Try to check in with them before you head out – in many cases hours and needs are uncertain.
- Another map of dropoff, distribution and volunteer locations. Same warning as above.
I HAVE A CAR, I’M PICKING UP SUPPLIES SOMEWHERE ELSE:
- If you have a full load of supplies and don’t know where to take them, here are some options. Be sure to CALL FIRST to make sure you have what they need.
Drop off materials at 83-91 Woodhaven Boulevard, Woodhaven, NY 11421. For questions about the donation drive, please call Assemblyman Mike Miller’s office at 718-805-0950. Miller’s office is distributing goods specifically to several locations in the Rockaways.
[Unsure if continuing this week.] Drop off at 80-00 Cooper Avenue (the former Borders Bookstore site). For questions about the donation drive, please call Council Member Elizabeth Crowley’s office at 718-366-3900. (via Bill DiBlasio)
The Red Cross is operating a donation point at Resort World Casino (Aqueduct Racetrack), accepting many types of donations. Click through for directions, needs list, hours and contact information. Goods donated to the Red Cross may be used locally in Howard Beach and the Rockaways, or may be sorted and sent to other areas of need in the region. (via NYPD Community Affairs)
- Same message as before: For anyone thinking of driving directly to the Rockaways: Please remember that it’s a mess out there. There is debris in the road; stuff everywhere. Most cell service is out. If you get a flat tire, etc., you’re on your own. Everyone wants to help and your hearts are in the right place. Make sure your mind is in the right place too.
I HAVE MONEY TO DONATE:
If you’re from far away and want to help, please don’t ship supplies. Instead, consider giving to one of the following.
Once again, a MASSIVE THANK YOU to the donors, volunteers and drivers that helped us collect, sort, pack and distribute several tons of supplies Thursday through Saturday.
Posted 11.2.12 @ 8:45pm:
No More Room For Donations Right Now!!!
Unreal turnout of donations and volunteers today!!!! Still can’t believe!!!! Thank You Guyz So Much!!! That’s it for tonight though.
If you till want to help: We need help loading trucks and cars tomorrow, 11.3!!! Come by the store between 9am and 4pm. Let’s do this!
If you have a vehicle and plenty of gas, come to the store tomorrow 11.3 between 10am and 4pm. We will load you up and give you directions.*
Just a note for anyone thinking of driving to The Rockaways: Please remember that it’s a mess out there. There are debris in the road; stuff everywhere. If you get a flat tire, etc., you’re on your own. Everyone wants to help and your hearts are in the right place. Make sure your mind is in the right place too. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Love you guys! Hope that wasn’t too harsh!
UPDATE!!! 11.2.12 @ 5:00pm :
You guys are awesome!
We are at capacity as of now. We cannot accept any more donations. That’s how awesome you are. What we can use is drivers with vehicles that are gassed up to help us get the donations to the Rockaways tomorrow (11/3). If that sounds like you, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you all so much.